Friday, April 24, 2009

Details of "The Call"

I did not think it would take me this long to write this entry, but...  I was driving down the freeway, talking to Joe.  I said "It is 3:00 you know" (Code for the call isn't happening today) to which he says..."I know..." Then, at 2:53 a call beeps in - Area Code 817 - I quickly and nervously say "This is it, I've got to get it..."  Of course, it was Abbey.  After some brief greetings -- How are you...Fine...How are you...then it comes..."I have some good news." I stopped her mid-sentence and said "Don't tell me anything!"  I was on my way to get Katie at school, so I could not immediately divert to be with Joe.  I called him back immediately and we determined that it was most efficient for him to get Katie at school (he was closer) and meet at home. Unfortunately, snack time had not occurred yet at school, so our 5 year old was not too pleased to be taken abruptly from such critical commitments...We had wonderful visions of seeing the pictures all together, but she was still recovering from the trauma and required a little show (Kipper the Dog) to get over it.  Once Joe and I got in front of the computer, video camera set up and positioned, we called Abbey back.  She quickly told us that they had a beautiful baby GIRL for us...Yes we were quite surprised at the girl part, since we just assumed it would be a boy.  She had her e-mail all queued up and ready to go, so we got it within 20 seconds of the call.  We had 7 pictures to pour over -- each one of them seemed to tell us a little something different about her.  After Abbey walked us through the background, medical info, etc.  I asked her "What's next?"  She indicated that when we were ready to accept the referral, to let her know.  Without hesitation, we both piped up -- WE ACCEPT! and a confirmation was on it's way.  Our heads are still spinning, but we are thrilled.  Oh, and the trauma of the missed snack time was soon forgotten as Katie saw her baby sister's picture!  On to the next leg of the journey...

10 comments:

  1. Great story! Praying that you'll be hearing about your courtdate soon.

    Ryane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! We are new to the blogging community, but not new to this long process. It is interesting to see where we might have been if things were different. We started this journey just about a month after you guys, but are just now on waitlist! This process is anything BUT predictable, but God's timing is PERFECT. So happy for you guys! I pray that your courtdate is not far behind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found you guys!!!! CONGRATULATIONS-CONGRATULTIONS-CONGRATULATIONS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy!
    This is Amy Bottomly... 1. I had no idea you had a blog! I just saw you on the Gladney message board with a link to it. I am new to the yahoo group thing and so far am overwhelmed with ALL the messages. :)
    2. You got your referral! Congratulations!
    3. You guys haven't been to The Queen in forever! Or at least I haven't been at The Queen at the same time as you guys. Hope to see you soon!
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!! CONGRATS, AMY!!!! And a girl???!! What a wonderful surprise! I can't wait to see pictures of her sweet face!! Cangrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! Our second court date is June 16th. Found you on the Gladney FBI list. Maybe we'll get to meet at the Queen sometime. Best wishes for a very successful court date!

    ReplyDelete